The diplomatic battle between Greece and Russia was a mistake that led to a short lived misunderstanding, however didn’t have an effect on the Greek-Russian relations. Affirmation of friendship and strategic partnership between the 2 nations would be the go to of Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to Moscow on December 7, stated Dimitris Velanis, adviser to the Greek Prime Minister on cooperation with Russia. Concerning the upcoming negotiations Tsipras in Moscow, the assembly of the Russian-Greek joint fee for cooperation and particular tasks of financial cooperation Velanis stated in an interview with RIA Novosti.
– Mr. Advisor, on December 7, will go to the Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to Moscow, earlier than that might be held assembly of the Russian-Greek combined fee. What subjects are presupposed to be mentioned on the intergovernmental fee and on the talks?
– The Intergovernmental Fee meets on December 5-6 in Moscow. The fee’s co-chairs are Yevgeny Dietrich, Minister of Transport of Russia, and Katrungalos, Greece’s First Deputy Overseas Minister. Supplies for the assembly and minutes for signing have been ready way back. As all the time, the combined fee will affirm the extent of relations, the extent of labor of all departments, and we will say that it isn’t dangerous in any respect, it’s good and opens the best way for additional cooperation between the 2 nations. It’s crucial for governments to maintain fixed management over the event of relations, so the assembly is a really constructive occasion.
The subsequent day, the Prime Minister arrives and, as deliberate, meets with your complete management of Russia – with the federal government and with the Russian president. This can be a affirmation of the continuation of pleasant relations, strategic partnership.
That is occurring in very troublesome circumstances that the world has been experiencing in current occasions. Regardless of this, Greece and Russia will maintain relations at a excessive degree and each nations know that they won’t solely lose from this, however achieve. Our peoples all the time profit from these relations and cooperation, in all spheres.
The Prime Minister will talk about the political moments of this complicated world with President Putin. They all the time talk about troublesome points based mostly on mutual belief and mutual curiosity for the 2 nations.
Along with political points there can be problems with creating financial relations, which is essential. Greece has lengthy been working with Russia within the subject of tourism, Russia this yr took, in response to preliminary knowledge, the fourth place within the variety of vacationers. As a part of the Yr of Tourism introduced final yr, a really broad program occurred, there have been fascinating occasions starting from festivals to visiting virtually all areas of Russia and all areas of Greece.
It may be continued by the announcement of 2019 because the Yr of Tradition with a wide range of various occasions remind us that we share a standard tradition – from spiritual rules. And this shall be not solely a reminder, but in addition the event of cooperation on this space. We’ll do our utmost to make sure that our individuals don’t endure injury from the intervention of soiled politics within the purest tradition that unites them.
– Within the sphere of tradition, there’s something to point out each Greece and Russia.
– Rather a lot. Co-production and screening of movies based mostly on our historic ties are being ready, e-book translations, e-book exhibitions are being ready. Many theater occasions. As within the Yr of Tourism, we’ll work within the depths of the nation, not solely within the capitals, however within the areas and districts, in order that it reaches the individuals.
– Within the financial sphere is predicted to revive ties?
– As for the financial system, typically it appears that evidently Russia doesn’t take part within the financial affairs of Greece and vice versa, however this isn’t true. Russia participates within the financial lifetime of Greece, there are investments in tourism and actual property, however the circumstances of the disaster have been troublesome. I personally typically met with instances the place buyers have been afraid to take a position. At first, they might not work as a result of they have been afraid, since we had banking restrictions (capital management from June 2015 – ed.). After the removing of a part of the banking restrictions, buyers appeared intently, it’s potential or inconceivable to conduct totally different investments, since there have been many obstacles with the introduction of sanctions towards Russia. Corporations have been afraid to start out investing and fall beneath restrictions. On this facet, the sanctions triggered very nice injury to the Greek-Russian relations. And people who launched the sanctions, we should ask what investments they introduced. Sanctions aren’t a software for financial cooperation, they’re an enormous hindrance, and it’s a hindrance in Greek-Russian relations.
– Many individuals say that they want to see financial relations at a better degree. However out of the blue it turned out that the most important overseas strategic funding in Greece is Russian – the challenge of Elounda in Crete, greater than 408 million euros. Now such large-scale tasks are being mentioned, are they being ready?
– Sure. There are investments in Crete. There are investments of Russian businessmen on the islands of the western Ionian Sea. There’s a improvement of many tasks that relate to many sectors of the actual financial system. I can identify some instructions – it’s delivery, ship restore and development of ships. That is the power, processing business, together with metallurgy. These are investments in Greek infrastructure tasks, the event of ports and, by way of them, the event of logistics and transport networks related with Russia and northern locations from Greece.
Many of those tasks are deliberate to be signed this yr, together with through the go to of the Prime Minister to Russia or after it. A minimum of, there are developments, and we’re shifting very promisingly in the direction of the event of financial cooperation. I’m fairly assured about this. The Greek financial system responded to the issue of overcoming the outcomes of sanctions, and a few enterprises, on the suggestion of Russian President Vladimir Putin, went in the direction of the creation of import substitution buildings in Russia. This yr, the development of a dairy business can be carried out in line with the Greek know-how for the manufacturing of well-known Greek registered items which might be traded and manufactured all through the world. So it is going to be in Russia within the area of the dairy business, within the area of child meals.
We’ll see in what instructions it can nonetheless be attainable to implement an import substitution scheme for shopper items and foodstuffs.
Of nice curiosity is cooperation in aquaculture as in Greece, and within the southern seas of Russia. It’s being developed within the final half of the yr and might be developed in 2019. In Greece, there are wonderful applied sciences, Greece ranks first on the earth within the manufacturing of useful fish, and we’ll develop belongings each in Greece and switch aquaculture applied sciences within the south of Russia, within the southern heat seas of Russia. This undertaking will permit to beat all obstacles, all sanctions associated to Greek fish. And we expect that the Russian authorities will deal with this undertaking with understanding. Its objective is to assist the Greek financial system via the processing and export of its fish merchandise, which is among the giant export gadgets, and import substitution by way of the creation of joint ventures. This can be a joint manufacturing of feed for enterprises, and the processing of merchandise.
We’ll strengthen the commerce in items that aren’t topic to sanctions, each from Russia and from Greece. We proceed to export our conventional merchandise akin to olive oil. Greek olive oil is taken into account the highest quality on the earth. Lately there was an motion to advertise this product in giant networks in Moscow, and it’ll proceed in several areas of Russia. Now its exports are rising, however very barely, we hope to extend gross sales.
The years of disaster stopped the expansion of exports, as a result of many Greek enterprises couldn’t compete because of the lack of credit score strains that enterprises from different nations had. Greek enterprises couldn’t ship items with cost in 60 days – such circumstances are often given by importers, networks. Because of the financial state of affairs, they have been required to request advance funds for his or her items, and this isn’t worthwhile for commerce in Russia. That is the primary purpose for the slowdown. Now, albeit slowly, the banking sector is starting to help exporters. We expect that every thing can be fastened quickly. Maybe we’ll set up export credit score assure mechanisms in order that there are ensures from the consumers and the banking sector is extra assured. This might be a device to assist Greek producers.
– What’s the state of affairs with imports from Russia?
– It’s there, and, along with the primary commodities of the uncooked materials base – oil and fuel, the export of different Russian industrial items begins. For instance – from the enterprises of Siberia will come impurities, components to fertilizers, which can be used within the Greek agricultural sector. The contract has already been signed. Excellent merchandise, with out chemical compounds, environmentally pleasant, helps to extend the productiveness of Greek plantations of fruits and different crops.
We’re discussing the creation of a Russian Export Home in Greece, which can cowl different merchandise unknown in Greece. Within the agricultural sector there’s cooperation within the subject of digital know-how, new Russian applied sciences. Particularly, Russia has expertise in utilizing UAVs in agriculture, it is going to be examined within the Greek agricultural sector. The know-how was introduced, and it was enthusiastically accepted by Greek producers. I might name different sectors and areas of cooperation, particularly in new applied sciences. Collaboration between the ministries of digital politics and mass media begins, which provides nice prospects in creating new merchandise, akin to video games, digital packages, info cooperation.
I want to single out one settlement, it’s labored out and shall be signed – between the brand new Greek the area company Hellenic Area Company and Roscosmos.
Earlier, an analogous settlement was signed by Roscosmos with the College of Aristotle of Soloniki. Now the cooperation is increasing, in order that the Greek area firm makes use of the huge expertise and potential of Roscosmos in numerous areas. Such cooperation is useful to each nations, however particularly for the Greek aspect, which isn’t an area superpower like Russia.
– The Greek Ministry of Digital Coverage has lately been actively inviting optical-acoustic packages and movies to be produced in Greece, gives studios for his or her data Is one thing deliberate on this space?
– Sure. Greece is an excellent place for such manufacturing. It’s fascinating by all standards, together with the great thing about nature and local weather. We lately mentioned this at a gathering with the Deputy Minister of Digital Improvement, Communications and Mass Communications of Russia Alexei Volin. Russia could be very . I’m positive that this development might be trendy, with nice prospects, particularly for younger individuals. The Greek public has a really nice want for info to be true, actual and actual in immediately's distorted world. Individuals have no idea the reality, have no idea the state of affairs that’s created. Typically it’s removed from the pursuits of individuals and nations, and is created within the pursuits of sure circles. That is what we name the knowledge conflict; it characterizes in the present day's circumstances. It is extremely necessary that info sectors, info businesses work truthfully, inform the reality actually, so that folks know with whom and find out how to reside and work. This can assist the event of relations with Russia.
– Generally, sanctions are sanctions, and cooperation continues.
– Sure. Taking this chance in reference to the go to of my Prime Minister, I want to convey to the entire Russian individuals an enormous pleasant and optimistic greeting. Our peoples empathize with difficulties, and we should always always remember that in troublesome moments of historic improvement we’ve all the time been fraternal peoples. Nobody can ever take that away. This yr we celebrated 190 years of diplomatic relations between Russia and Greece. On this relationship, there have been some dangerous moments this yr. Extremes occurred in our diplomatic relations, it was a mistake. She led to a short lived misunderstanding. I feel we now have eradicated these moments and remove the results. If somebody thought that he might affect the Greek-Russian relations, he was flawed. They continue to be at a really excessive degree.
© RIA Novosti / Gennady Melnik